Richa Environmental Leading manufacture, supplier of Potato Processing Effluent Treatment Plant
Potato Wastewater Treatment
Rapid growth is the synonym for potato Industry from past two to three decades accompanied by enormous increase in the amount of water & wastewater produced.
As per estimation US’s Potato Industry alone generates about 1,300,000,000 kg of wastes each year.
Source of Wastewater production in Potato processing Industry includes
· Additional Operations
Potatoes with high solid content, low reducing sugar content, thin peel and uniform shape & size are preferred for processing.
· 18% Starch
· 1% Cellulose
· 81% Water which contents contains protein & carbohydrates.
Types of Potato Processing Units
· Potato Chips
· Frozen French Fries
· Frozen Foods
· Dehydrated mashed Potatoes
· Dehydrated dices Potatoes
· Potato Flakes
· Potato Starch
· Potato Flour
· Canned White Potatoes
· Pre peeled Potatoes
Major Processes in all processing units are
Washing raw potatoes thoroughly require 5000 to 8000 liters per ton of water depending dirt and sand.
Peeling discharges most of the organic load to wastewater/effluent
Type of peeling used affect the BOD and COD in effluent.
Abrasion Peeling – 4000 mg/l BOD
Steam Peeling – 6200 mg/l BOD pH Acidic
Lye Peeling – 6500 mg/l BOD ph. Alkaline
Composition Percentage of Potato waste
· Total Organic Nitrogen N: 1 %
· Carbon as C :42 %
· Total Phosphorus as P : 0.038%
· Total Sulfur as S : 0.082%
· Volatile Solids : 95.2%
· Anaerobic Aerobic Treatment (If you do not have expertise of Starch removal)
· Aerobic Treatment (if you know how easy it is to remove starch)
Food detailed Treatment Feel Free to contact us